A heroic effort is a voluntary, collective effort.
What if you could design and build spaces to help improve the lives of community members? A culturally unique and hands-on experience, the Build Lightly Guatemala Workshop will offer participants a chance to design, draw, and build a new music classroom for under-served children in the El Tejar neighborhood.
This fast-paced collaborative design/build workshop will be led by professional instructors Miriam Gee and Luke W. Perry to design and build a new classroom for music students at CEDIN School, for our non-profit client, LEAF International. The site is located 30 minutes outside of Antigua, Guatemala. The Build Lightly Guatemala 10-day Workshop will take place in January 13-22, 2017.
Música y más !
This 10-day workshop will bring together students and mentors of architecture, engineering & construction to build a new classroom for our client, LEAF International – for the music school in El Tejar, Guatemala. Build Lightly participants will design and construct a dynamic project that engages local students and teachers. We will capitalize on reclaimed and local materials wherever possible and design for flexible teaching space.
- Dates: January 13-22, 2017, 10 days, spans MLK holiday
- Instructors: Luke W. Perry & Miriam Gee
- Client: LEAF International
- Project: New music classroom for youth in El Tejar
- Workshop Fees: US$1500
Build Lightly Studio believes in creating a “relationship-centric” design/build community. We challenge individuals and organizations to work together; sharing knowledge, innovation and resources in a grassroots movement to solve local issues as effectively and sustainably as possible. If this sounds like a good fit for you, and you’re interested in the Build Lightly Guatemala Workshop, please complete the application form and email it to info[at]buildlightly.com.
Build Lightly Guatemala 2017 Workshop Application.pdf
- Email completed application and pay the $50 non-refundable Application Fee no later than October 14, 2016.
- Early Bird Discount: Submit the completed application prior to September 14, 2016 and receive $100 off your Workshop Fees!
- Participants will be notified of acceptance by October 21, 2016 and will receive a PayPal invoice to complete the deposit payment.
- Deposits are due November 4, 2016 to confirm your participation in the Workshop. Additional registration information and trip details will be provided to participants upon receipt of the deposit.
- Final payments will be due November 30, 2016.
- Travel itinerary and proof of travel/health insurance due by November 30, 2016.
- We will be accepting 9-12 participants for this Workshop.
The total cost for Workshop Fees will be US$1,500 per participant, including the US$500 deposit required to secure your spot. This includes ten days of hands-on instruction, three meals a day, lodging in Antigua, and ground transportation to/from the project site (airfare not included). All payments will be made via PayPal to Build Lightly Studio
Questions about the application process? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ABOUT OUR CLIENT
LEAF International works with PEG Partners, ChildAid, FUNDIT at the CEDIN School in El Tejar, Guatemala. Through this project, an after school music program funded by LEAF International and PEG offers over 15 classes each week taught by local musicians. The 38 music students ages 9-19 are immersed in their own cultural traditions and empowered to pursue their talents. The music teachers also teach 120 students ages 4-6. Students are introduced to rhythm, music theory, singing, marimba, mandolin, flute, drums,violins, upright bass and dance.